Nick Westergaard is a strategist, speaker, author, and educator. As Chief Strategist at Brand Driven Digital, he’s spent his career building standout brands at organizations of all sizes—from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies to President Obama’s Jobs Council. He’s the author of the books Brand Now and Get Scrappy, a contributor to the Harvard Business Review, host of the popular On Brand podcast, a TEDx speaker coach, a Moth StorySlam Champion, and a lecturer at the University of Iowa’s Tippie College of Business. An in-demand keynote speaker at conferences throughout the world, his work helps those struggling to stand out in our crowded, distracted world.
Most Requested Programs
Brand Now:How to Stand Out in a Crowded, Distracted World
With the rise of digital media, you’d think it’d be easier than ever to be heard. Yet, most messages—especially marketing messages—fail to cut through the clutter in our crowded, distracted world. To stand out today, you have to start with your brand. But the rules of brand building have changed.During this insightful and engaging keynote, you’ll learn about the seven Brand Now dynamics—meaning, structure, story, content, community, clarity, and experience—and how you can use them to build a standout brand.Key audience takeaways:After Nick’s talk, your audience will be able to:• Implement the seven digital dynamics of standout brand building.
- Endow brands with a unique meaning, story, and structure. Standout brands stand for something.
- Create marketing gravity through compelling content and an engaged community internally and externally.
- Build a connected brand experience for customers both online and off.
Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small
When it comes to marketing, it’s the best of times and the worst of times. New media allows us to reach more people, build personal relationships, and deliver real value to our customers. However, budgets are tighter than ever and we’re constantly distracted by all of the shiny new things coming at us. The answer? Get scrappy.During this myth-busting and actionable talk, you’ll discover how getting scrappy can help you put your brains before your budget, do more with less, and simplify your marketing in today’s complex world. The book Get Scrappy—the basis of this talk—was named one of Mashable’s Best New Marketing Books to Read in 2017.Key audience takeawaysAfter Nick’s talk, your audience will be able to:
- Create a scrappy marketing strategy grounded with solid business objectives that shows what channel or platform works best when.
- Simplify content marketing with four easy-to-employ hacks.
- Measure what matters in social media and digital marketing for continuous improvement.
Standout Brand Storytelling: Using the Science of Story to Captivate Customers
Despite the fact that technology has made marketing easier than ever before, the increased noise has made it harder for brands to actually stand out in our crowded, distracted, digital world. Rather than continuing to interrupt our way around this problem, we need to learn the secrets of the oldest, most powerful communication tool—story.As part of this entertaining, educational, and actionable keynote, audiences will learn the brain science behind why story works with examples from pop-culture classics and story-driven brands. In the end, they’ll move beyond talking about the trend of storytelling to implementing stories as tools for their brands.Key audience takeawaysAfter Nick’s talk, your audience will be able to:
- Define the key elements of brand story including protagonist, antagonist, and world building.
- Capture attention by creating empathetic stories based customer challenges.
- Craft captivating stories that drive profitable actions and long-term brand loyalty.
Stand Up, Stand Out: Communication Strategies to Lead, Inspire, and Empower
In study after study, communication consistently ranks as a top leadership skill. Communicate effectively and your team can move mountains. Communicate less effectively and you’re not only less productive—you’ve confused your people. This is further complicated by the fact that leaders are busy. It’s harder still when everything is online. Get Scrappy author Nick Westergaard has taken his experience as a professional speaker, TEDx speaker coach, and educator and put together a new system to help you maximize your communication impact with minimal time and resources.In this actionable keynote, you’ll learn scrappy strategies—from mapping your message to embodying confidence—that will help you connect with others, communicate culture, and lead your team to success.Key audience takeawaysAfter Nick’s talk, your audience will be able to:
- Leave with a system for effective leadership communication in any setting—from an informal update to a formal full-length internal or external presentation.
- Improve presentations with storytelling science and bold, vivid visuals.
- Deliver with authenticity and confidence through vocal and nonverbal communication both in-person and online.
- Master the technical ins and outs (video, lights, mics, and more) of online meetings for platforms such as Zoom, WebEx, and Teams. For a preview, check out Nick’s Virtual Communication Checklist.
The Scrappy Brand’s Guide to What’s Next (and What to Do About It)
While marketing is changing more rapidly than ever, the one thing marketers can’t afford to do is everything. But how can you know what’s both new and worth your brand’s always limited time and resources? Pulling on the latest expert interviews from the popular On Brand podcast, this forward-looking yet practical, tactical talk takes a look at the latest trends that need to be on your radar, what they mean, and, most importantly, what you can do to be ready for them. After this talk, you’ll be able to:
- Understand not only what’s changing in how we connect with your customers and what this means for your big-picture marketing strategy.
- Leave with a scrappy framework for determining which trends to adopt and implement and an action plan for how to tackle this work moving forward.
- Share the latest trends with others internally and beyond.
“Nick set the tone of the conference by providing valuable insights on the ‘Future of Social’ in a humorous manner. The audience was captivated and the thunderous applause at the end only confirmed the fantastic job he did.”- Keith Jenkins, Organizer The Social Travel Summit
"Sharp, funny and relevant: Nick Westergaard is all these things and more. He delivered great content at our conference in an enthusiastic, entertaining and inspiring way, filled with practical tips and examples. Our audience loved him."- Romana Walter, Event Organizer, Email Marketing Evolved
"I loved Nick’s Boot Camp! It was above and beyond any other social media training I’ve experienced." - Lori Arguello, Community Relations Coordinator, Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center
"Lots of people say they understand digital marketing and social media. After all, we’re all on Facebook, right? But Nick Westergaard understands the ONLY difference that matters: how to use social media to build your business. He’s smart, funny, knowledgeable, and engaging – the perfect storm for speakers. Hire him, or risk getting all wet." - Jay Baer, Author of Youtility